Re: [PHP] Placement of PHP programs?

Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 11:23:37AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
>
> > This is something which has had a bit of debate - whether /var/www is for
> > the admin or the distribution.  I'm inclined to go with your view - that
> > it's for the admin, but I can't find any documentation which codifies that
> > view.
>
> We don't have a sane policy on this, AFAICT. To date, packages (including
> Apache itself in particular) have done pretty much whatever they like with
> /var/www, to the extent that it's not been a useful/useable location for
> an admin to use as a real webroot. There was some discussion about how best

Agreed.  That's why, for example, on two servers that also run various
websites, we have /var/www/$hostname/ for the document root and
/etc/apache/vhost for the particular configuration.  I guess that currently
fits best with the current way Debian handles it.  However, still, placing
websites/applications into /var/www directly wouldn't have the desired
outcome of the package, but we could easily alias it into any vhost we
like.

Regards,

	Joey

--
All language designers are arrogant.  Goes with the territory...
	-- Larry Wall