Re: install-info and LSB

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 10:40:02PM +0100, Matthew Woodcraft wrote:
> > As it has been pointed out hundreds of times, it is GNU that distributes a
> > program under then name 'install-info' which is incompatible with the dpkg
> > version. :)
> >
> > (The version in dpkg has seniority.)
>
> It's not a matter of seniority, it's a matter of producing the highest
> quality distribution.

Superficial restating of the issue certainly doesn't make your point
clear...

> The dpkg-iasearch package used to contain a program called dpkg-query.
> When the dpkg maintainers added a program with the same name, the
> dpkg-iasearch maintainer renamed his file, without worrying about
> 'seniority'. I think he did well to do so, don't you?
>
> Debian would do well to rename its install-info for the same reasons.

"dpkg-query" was obviously very much inside the dpkg namespace. On the other
hand, dpkg's install-info is both not really in texinfo namespace because it
its name is pretty generic as it is and is older than texinfo's version so
this doesn't score well on the list of good reasons to swap them.

Anyway, this discussion is superfluous too, as the dpkg maintainers have
already decided to move over to the C, GNU version in the future. (See
debian-dpkg list archives for details.)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.