Re: woody CD not bootable with adaptec + scsi-cdrom

Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> writes:
[...]
>> Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
[...]
>>> I the discovered that the woody CD (linuxtag prerelease) doesn't
>>> boot. I heard of similar for the real woody release CDs on irc.

>>> Can anyone boot the CDs, which one of the set and what hardware?
[...]
>> I can boot from CD1, on a PentiumMMX-class machine (SiS 5591/5), an
>> iirc 1 year old Athlon 800 (VIA 133) and a 2 month old Duron1200
>> (VIA 266A).

> Who cares about your cpu?

Hello,
Nobody does, but mentioning CPU and mainboard chipset should give a
good idea how old the system was. (I do not know the exact dates, else
I would have mentioned them.)

> What cdrom? ide or scsi? What controler?

Sorry, all machines were IDE only.

>>> Also whats different between potato and woody?

>> potato used floppy-emulation, woody _CD1_ uses isolinux(??).

> That explains the difference in output. The floppy emulation shows up
> when the adaptec detects the bootable cdrom. Or is that unrelated?

Afaik no, my old computer's BIOS showed too whether it was using floppy
emulation.

[...]
>> If your computer cannot boot woody CD1 try CD2-CD7 - they use
>> floppy-emulation and should work on old computers.

> Good to know. Is that in the install docs somewhere?

Of course.

| 5.2 Booting from a CD-ROM
[...]
| CD #1
[...]
| If your hardware doesn't support booting of multiple images, put
| one of the other CDs in the drive. It appears that most SCSI CD-ROM
| drives do not support isolinux multiple image booting, so users
| with SCSI CD-ROMs should try either CD2 (vanilla) or CD3 (compact),
| or CD5 (bf2.4).

BTW it'd be nice if could respect Mail-Followup-To and did not cc me,
I would be very surprised if your MUA Gnus did not support this.
            TIA, cu andreas
--
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest _tin_
http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/tin-snapshot/