Re: Non-Intel package uploads by maintainer

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 03:09:52PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Is there any reason not to do this? It seems that it might speed up the

Save you time, and if you aren't actually following the current status of
the extra archs you build for, you might end up uploading it during an
arch-specific transition, and require it to just be binNMU'd later on.

> autobuild process, specially when it is a library like libgmp3 which other
> packages depend upon for their builds...

It won't speed things up much at all.

> The only problem I can see is in the construction of the dsc file. I get
> one built on the Intel and another one built on the Sparc. Must I do two
> uploads or is there a way to merge the two dsc files?

Only a source build generates a dsc file.  You shouldn't be building source
more than once.  The dsc files should also be identical, in any case.

You _do_ need to use mergechanges on your .changes files and upload it as
one, especially if you are on a slowlink.  Otherwise the autobuilder might
already have started building before your upload finishes, wasting the
CPU (and buildd maintainer's) time.

--
Ryan Murray, Debian Developer (rmurray@cyberhqz.com, rmurray@debian.org)
The opinions expressed here are my own.