Re: GCC 3.2 transition

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 10:49:21AM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> Gerhard Tonn <GerhardTonn@swol.de> writes:

>  > The disadvantage is that we must know all C++ packages in advance.

>  A large majority of C++ packages depend on libstdc++*; the ones that
>  doesn't are probably libraries which have been linked using cc instead
>  of c++.  For example libsigc++-1.1-5 and libgtkmm1.3-14 would pass
>  unnoticed even if they are both C++ libraries.  This *might be*
>  symptomatic of libtool libraries, counterexamples appreciated.  In this
>  case you'd have to look for typical C++ symbols in the output of, say,
>  objdump -T, e.g. __pure_virtual, __dynamic_cast.  In general you'd have
>  to look for traces of C++ mangling.

It should be easy enough to find all the C++ libraries that need to be
recompiled.  First, find all the packages that depend on some version of
libstdc++, and try to recompile them, libraries first.  Then, out of the
failed packages that have previously built successfully on our gcc-3.0
archs, grab out all library packages from the dependencies; sift and
rebuild; lather, rinse, repeat.

Anything that's missed by this process is either a package that requires
manual intervention to get it working with gcc 3.x, or a package that has
no dependencies on any other C++ packages.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer