Re: please remove current libsdl-image1.2, libsdl-perl etc. from sarge.

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 17:52:55 +0900,
Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:
> To: submit@bugs.debian.org
> Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Use X-Debbugs-CC: when you file a new bug and Cc: it.

> I think libsdl-image1.2 should have been renamed
> libsdl-image1.2png3, and conflict with libsdl-iamge1.2,
> (or better, ask the upstream to change the soname.)
> and rebuild everything against that.
I can't see why renaming is necessary.  We have to
recompile anyway. When it is done, versioned dependency
and symbol versioning should work fine.

Suppose that foo is compiled with current libsdl-image1.2
(which uses libpng3) and libpng2.
1. old foo, old libsdl-image1.2 and old libpng2
  doesn't work, not supported, you need upgrade
2. old foo, old libsdl-image1.2 and new libpng2
  not supported, you need more upgrade, welcome to unstable
3. old foo, new libsdl-image1.2 and old libpng2
  this is what symbol versioning is for
4. old foo, new libsdl-image1.2 and new libpng3
  no problem because only libpng3 is used
5. new foo
  versioned dependency forces you to use new libraries

--
Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp>
Debian developer

Better just encrypt it all in your head :-).
--- Derrick 'dman' Hudson, about encryption without any physical medium