Re: postgresql and debconf [Re: package and dpkg improvements to help autoinstallers]

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 10:30, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 09:27, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> > what about simply asking the user if he wants automated upgrades,
> > specifing that they *require* interactive presence from the user? if the
> > user choose not to, every time an upgrade is necessary just mail root
> > and put in the mail the address of an upgrade script.
>
> I'd guess the big problem here would be how to install the new binaries.
>
> Perhaps as 'xxx.new' which the upgrade script would then move to the
> real names after having done the dump.

I don't think that is necessary, because the _old_ binaries are saved by
the prerm to make them available to the upgrade script.  I really don't
want to have to write my own version of dpkg to handle the installation!

> Moving the actual update operation outside the pkg install seems a good
> idea to me; db upgrade is really something special. I'd compare it to
> the 'software upgrades must not touch /home' policy: db upgrades do
> exactly this, touching user data.

I would not want to be so absolute about this; it really depends on the
size and importance of the database.  So far, I like the idea of letting
debconf ask whether to attempt to upgrade during installation.

Taking this line would have these consequences:

1.  If the database version is unchanged, everything will upgrade
normally.

2.  If the database version has changed, thus requiring initdb, either:

 a) the database will become unavailable to all users until the
administrator does an upgrade by hand; or

 b) the debconf setting allows us to attempt to upgrade during
installation, in which case we proceed as now.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in
      burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the
      voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than
      sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams."
                                     I Samuel 15:22