Re: Definite menu code rewrite

On Jul 20, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> > 8. It'd be nice if debmenu was Priority: standard for woody+1.  Our
> >    menu system has always been one of our strengths and IMO it's one
> >    that should be preinstalled by default.  But that's just me.
> >

> if you write it in an interpreted language other than perl, shell or awk this
> can not happen unless that language is also moved into standard.

Python (2.1) is standard as of woody.  Python 2.2 or 2.3 will be
standard for woody+1, since that's what reportbug 2 needs anyway (I'll
probably be writing against 2.2).

Aside: I did an install on someone's box (one of those Shuttle
small-footprint boxes with integrated everything) as a LUG demo on
Thursday (showing off the bf24 flavor - people were quite impressed)
and menu was pulled in by tasksel somehow (probably the desktop task),
so bumping to standard may be unnecessary.

> kde has c++ and gnome has c code doing this work already, you could
> "borrow" it as a basis.  At least then you could avoid part of the
> language 'war' and menu could even be essential (-:

Perhaps, but my C(++) is so rusty I'd probably just create a giant
security hole/segfault fest.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/