Re: lock files, devfs, mgetty and pppd.

On Sat, 2002-07-20 at 08:14, elf@buici.com wrote:
> Looks like a bug in mgetty....or a clever (non-standard) bit in ppp.
> Interestingly enough, both are maintained by the same fellow.

That used to be the case, but as you can see:

  http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/ppp.html

ppp is now Michael Beattie's, and

  http://packages.debian.org/unstable/comm/mgetty.html

mgetty is Wolfgang Sourdeau's.

> I thought that there was a library to handle this but on looking at
> liblockfile-dev, it appears not to specify a standard behavior.
>
> While this isn't kosher, you may hav success if you use a link
>
>   ln -s /dev/tts/0 /dev/tts_0
>
> and make mgetty use it until the problem is sorted out.  If this is
> what you mean by using non-devfs device names then the answer is
> probably no.
>
> On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 03:48:49PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> > On my woody system, I cannot run both pppd and mgetty at the same time
> > on the same port.
> >
> > The reason is when I configure mgetty to use /dev/tts/0,
> > it creates a lock file /var/run/LCK..0.
> >
> > However pppd insists on creating a lock file called:
> > /var/lock/LCK..tts_0.
> >
> > Are there any solutions to this other then using the
> > non-devfs device names?

That would work --- otherwise it's time to tweak the source on one or
both.  Looks to me like mgetty's at fault here.

Your best bet is to submit a bug against mgetty.

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/