Re: Possible mass-filing of bugs

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:45:03PM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> debian/copyright problems
> =========================
> In the following packages, debian/copyright does not include a
> verbatim copy of their copyright and distribution license, nor any
> pointers to /usr/share/common-licenses/{Artistic,GPL} or
> /usr/share/doc/perl/copyright.
>
> Since including a verbatim copy of the _whole_ license (with the
> exception that in case of the GPL and some other selected licenses,
> for which a pointer is enough) is a must, I believe this is at least
> an important bug.
>
> So, the packages with this kind of problem: libapache-db-perl,
> libbusiness-onlinepayment-perl, libcrypt-hcesha-perl,
> libdate-pcalc-perl, libdbix-datasource-perl, libdbix-dbschema-perl,
> libdbix-profile-perl, libdbix-searchbuilder-perl,
> libdns-zonerparse-perl, libfile-rsync-perl,
> libhtml-widgets-selectlayers-perl, libhttp-browserdetect-perl,
> liblog-dispatch-perl, libmldbm-sync-perl, libnet-scp-perl,
> libnet-ssh-perl, libstring-approx-perl, libtext-wrapper-perl,
> libtie-ixhash-perl, libtime-duration-perl.

Hmm, do I discern a pattern here?  Perhaps some perl advocates are
applying its philosophy of "throw random code against the wall until
something sticks" to things other than perl scripts.

Anyway, I concur.  Go forth and smite the infidel with bug reports!

> binary-arch VS Arch: all
> ========================
> Some of the packages are fully Architecture: all, yet, they build the
> .deb in the binary-arch target. Since policy states that
>
> 	`binary-arch' builds the binary packages which are specific to
>         a particular architecture, and `binary-indep' builds those
>         which are not.
>
> I consider this a policy violation, therefore a serious bug.
> (Hint: one shouldn't follow the dh_make template blindly. A little
> thought is always a good thing.)
>
> The list of victims, who were caught to do this:
> libbusiness-creditcard-perl, libbusiness-onlinepayment-perl,
> libcrypt-hcesha-perl, libdate-pcalc-perl, libdbix-datasource-perl,
> libdbix-dbschema-perl, libdbix-profile-perl,
> libdbix-searchbuilder-perl, libdns-zoneparse-perl, libfile-rsync-perl,
> libfreezethaw-perl, libhtml-widgets-selectlayers-perl,
> libhttp-browserdetect-perl, liblog-dispatch-perl, libmldbm-sync-perl,
> libnet-scp-perl, libnet-ssh-perl, libterm-query-perl,
> libtext-wrapper-perl, libtie-ixhash-perl, libtime-duration-perl,
> libarray-printcols-perl, libbind-confparser-perl.

Again, a pattern.  Strange.

I concur.  Go forth and smite the infidel with bug reports!

> README.Debian vs debian/copyright
> =================================
> Some of the packages have information in README.Debian that belongs to
> debian/copyright. For example, the name of the maintainer who put the
> package together. (Policy says that debian/copyright should mention
> the Debian maintainer)
>
> Since this is only a should in policy, I'd consider this wishlist or
> normal bugs. Probably wishlist only.
>
> The affected packages: libapache-db-perl, libbusiness-creditcard-perl,
> libbusiness-onlinepayment-perl, libcrypt-hcesha-perl,
> libdate-pcalc-perl, libdbix-datasource-perl, libdbix-dbschema-perl,
> libdbix-searchbuilder-perl, libdns-zoneparse-perl, libfile-rsync-perl,
> libfreezethaw-perl, libhtml-widgets-selectlayer-perl,
> libhttp-browserdetect-perl, liblog-dispatch-perl, libmldbm-sync-perl,
> libnet-scp-perl, libnet-ssh-perl, libstring-approx-perl,
> libterm-query-perl, libtext-wrapper-perl, libtie-ixhash-perl,
> libtime-duration-perl, libbind-confparser-perl,
> libarray-printcols-perl.

Agreed.  Go forth and smite the infidel with bug reports!

> libdbix-profile-perl has this problem also, and its README.Debian
> includes a brief summary of changes made to the upstream
> sources. According to policy, these should also go to
> debian/copyright.

Grievous.  That's at least an "important" bug, perhaps "serious".  Go
forth and smite the infidel with bug reports!

> Spurious files
> ==============
> The packages listed below contain files which were automatically
> generated at build time, and weren't cleaned properly.
>
> libdbix-datasource-perl (contains Makefile and Makefile.old, built
> from Makefile.PL)
> libdbix-profile-perl (contains Makefile and Makefile.old)
> libnet-scp-perl (contains debian/substvars)
>
> Since these are Arch: all packages, they won't get rebuilt by
> autobuilders, and these files won't cause any problems. In other
> cases, they might be harmless too, I didn't check. But they should be
> cleaned anyway, so this warrants a normal bug in my opinion.

If it causes no known problems, I'd say call it minor.  The day an
autobuilders barfs all over one of these bletcherous packages due to
people who can't write Makefiles, bump up the severity grave (FTBFS).

Go forth and smite the infidel with bug reports!

> Other things I'd nitpick about
> Among other things, many of the packages mentioned above contain
> "Emacs local variables" in debian/copyright, which is discouraged, and
> afaik lintian warns about it. I might file a minor bug about those
> too.

Yes, please do.

GO FORTH AND SMITE THE INFIDEL WITH BUG REPORTS!

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Good judgement comes from
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    experience; experience comes from