Re: (Possible) menu code rewrite

Em Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:29:46 -0700, Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> escreveu:

> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > > Which only occurs when packages are installed, updated, or removed,
> > > right? Even on unstable machines (aside from package developers), that's
> >
> > No.  The menu system allows local user overrides, and a lot of other very
> > nice and very neat features that make such updates more frequent, I think.
>
> How frequent? Every time you pop open the menu? Only when you change
> some user preference in a config dialog? Every time you login?

Everytime the user runs 'update-menu'? That's what I could observe 'till today.

> > I am not sure it is always handled by update-menus, or if some of the menu
> > code for window managers actually does dynamic refresh...
>
> I can see how a window manager might re-read the menu every time you pop
> it open, just to be sure it's current, but the XSLT transformation from
> the source to the window manager's own format should only need to be
> done when something actually changes.

If the window manager does refresh the menu (and gnome 1.4 used to do this,
it seems 2.0 doesn't) then it will refresh the files created through the
menu-methods, not the Debian xml file... that's the way it works today,
at least, it should work like this on the new system.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian: <http://www.debian.org> * <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>