Changes to /etc/profile

I've been asked to define PATH in /etc/profile only when it's not
already defined:

-PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"
+[ "$PATH" ] || PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"

so that users may rely exclusively on /etc/login.defs to change the PATH
system-wide. I will probably do that, but if you know of any undesired
side effects this may have, please speak now.

I have already been asked not to export PS1:

-export PATH PS1
+export PATH

so that shells which do not understand bash prompt escapes do not show
a confusing prompt when invoked on the command line. I will probably
do that as well, but, as before, if you know of any undesired side
effects this may have, please speak now.

[ I don't plan any more changes to /etc/profile ].