Re: gnupg-doc of standard priority?

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:06:00AM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > > Some peoples ideas of a 'useful system' don't include large amounts of
> > > extra documentation thats not needed for the functionality.
> > In which case they can uninstall the package. What's the fuss?
> The same argument ("they can uninstall the package") could be applied
> to TeX or emacs,

That's nice. But if you're going to be like that, then you should
notice that you can apply the "Some people's idea of a 'useful
system'..." argument to everything but those packages marked Essential:
yes, and the packages they depend upon. It'd be pretty stupid to do so,
though, because you'd end up talking about the "required" priority, not
"standard".

Really, it can. Heck, some people's idea of a 'useful system' specifically
excludes perl, and thus can't be (easily) achieved with a Debian system.
So what? It might be a fun debate to have if you don't have anything
useful to do, but it doesn't lead anywhere.

> Adding a package with 2MB
> of installed-size to the set of standard packages is a step in the
> wrong direction.

libc6.so alone is 1.2MB, and libc6.deb's total installed-size is
14MB. And it's not merely standard, but required/essential. exim is
another 1.4MB of installed-size, not counting the libraries it depends
on. ssh another 1.6MB. gnupg-doc isn't particularly large by comparison.
By way of contrast, tetex and emacs were dropped because they're both
*huge* by comparison -- over 10MB *downloads*. tetex-base is 16 times
more than gnupg-doc's installed-size, while emacs21 is around 20 times.

And for comparison, we have doc-linux-text marked as standard, with an
installed size of 8.5MB and a download size of 7.8MB, which is far more
of a nuisance than 2MB of disk and a 600kB download. We mightn't be all
that user friendly to someone doing a first install, but we do try to
include documentation with the software we install.

What's your actual problem with this package that you're so upset
about it?

Cheers,
aj