Re: mozilla-locale-*: language selection by the LANG/LC_MESSAGES environment variable

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 01:43:19PM +0200, Jacobo Tarrio wrote:
> O Domingo, 14 de Xullo de 2002 ás 13:12:41 +0200, Aurelien Jarno escribía:
>
> > > would it be possible for mozilla to use locale settings for language
> > > pack selection ?  As-is mozilla can hardly be used by non english
> > > speaking novice users:
>
>  If I recall correctly, there's a patch in Mozilla's bugzilla that does just
> that: get the language settings from the environment and use the "right"
> language pack if it is installed.
>
>  Unfortunately, as it currently is, it makes Mozilla take it twice as long
> to start.

Here's a quick-and-dirty fix which is utterly off-topic:

	(as root)
	vi /var/lib/mozilla/chrome.d/99default
		(change the line
			locale,install,select,en-US
			locale,install,select,de-AT
		for example)
	/sbin/update-mozilla-chrome

This will simply set the default system-wide. While not as good as a
Mozilla which understands the relevant environment variables, it may
help a sysadmin faced with hundreds of non-english-speaking novices.

But I don't know whether /var/lib/mozilla/chrome.d/99default is a config
file, and am too lazy to check right now.

Florian

--
Q. How many former COBOL programmers does it take to write an XML
interoperability specification?