Re: Little things make the initial install experience painful

Joe Drew wrote:
> This is a general problem, which I am afraid affects even my packages.
> Every single question should have a default unless there is no
> reasonable default and it will break things if it is not set up. As the
> default configuration for debconf to show is high (right?).

No it's medium.

> What happens if there is no Default: field in the template, there is a
> medium level question posed, and the user has high level only selected?

Well, if that question were not displayed, debconf would essentially
pick something at random. Behavior undefined, unless it is a:

- string (or password!) data type, then you get empty string back
- select data type, then you get the first item on the Choices list back

--
see shy jo