Re: toward better module package building

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 01:32:40AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Let me show you what I've got here. It's just a first step, mind..
> joey@satin:~>apt-src list
> i   pcmcia-cs      3.1.33-7       /home/joey/lib/kernel/modules/pcmcia-cs
> i   kernel-source  2.4.18         /home/joey/lib/kernel/linux
> i   poldhu         0.2.12-2       /home/joey/lib/kernel/modules/poldhu-0.2.12

One thing we *really* need to start doing with modules is making
sure prebuilt modules list their "Source:" as the appropriate
kernel-source-*.dsc. Having it be the actual source of the module is
an absolute nightmare to maintain, and is the reason we tend to have so
many garbagey old kernel+module packages lying about.

Basically the structure within the archive should be something like:

	kernel-source-2.4.20.dsc
		kernel-image-2.4.20.deb    # or the various variants as app.
		kernel-headers-2.4.20.deb
		kernel-source-2.4.20.deb   # if such a thing is still necessary
		pcmcia-modules-2.4.20.deb
		foo-modules-2.4.20.deb
	pcmcia-cs.dsc
		pcmcia-cs.deb
		pcmcia-source.deb
	foo.dsc
		foo-source.deb

Whether pcmcia-modules-2.4.20 and foo-modules-2.4.20 actually get
uploaded at the same time as kernel-source-2.4.20.dsc is marginally
irrelevent, aiui, the only thing that *really* matters is the Source:
field in the .debs and the .changes file. It's probably only feasible
to autobuild *-modules.deb if they're uploaded at the same time as the
kernel-source.dsc they match.

Getting the Source: field set right requires either a fair degree of
hackery, or building pcmcia-modules-2.4.20.deb from within the unpacked
kernel-source-2.4.20 source tree.

I'm not sure what impact apt-src has on this, or vice-versa.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif