Re: Little things make the initial install experience painful

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 03:07:25PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> So why am I sending this rant?  Two reasons spring to mind.  First, if
> other people agree these issues really are grating and annoy initial
> users, I'd like to see them get fixed for 3.0.1.
I do agree here.

The two points I find most severe are

> * tasksel is confused. There are five reasonable task groups with a
> total of 16 tasks, and then a task named 'junk' with several times
> that, including some that seem to duplicate other tasks (what's the
> difference between 'Development/C and C++' and 'junk/Development in
> C++'?)
I saw this, too, while installaing Debian for a friend.
How can this happen?  It looks really, realy ugly.
Do we really want to release it this way?
Is there an easy way to fix this?

> * libopenldap-runtime loses ("trying to overwrite '/usr/share/man/
> man5/ldapsearchprefs.conf.5.gz' which is also in package libldap2").
> [...]
> In the end I am forced to say 'no' to the retry question, giving
> the installer permission to leave my system in a 'broken state'.
I think this one would be worth fixing before woody, too.
Maybe here the fix would even be easy :-)  Just remove the
man page from one package (or add a "Replaces:" to one package).

Jochen
--
                                         Omm
                                      (0)-(0)