Re: Debian on the Sharp Zaurus/SL-5xxx

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 03:34:30AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > The base system shall fit within the internal storage provided on the
> > SL-5500 (16MB flash ROM + 64MB persistent RAM storage + main memory),
> > however, I hope to work out a mechanism for gracefully expanding the system
> > onto CF and/or SD cards[3], to allow for more installed software, while
> > allowing those cards to be inserted and removed without losing basic system
> > functionality.
>
> Try to make it work with 32m of ram as well.

I think this will not be a problem.  Since the Zaurus divides up its 64M
into storage and operating RAM, the user should be able to trade off some of
one for the other.

> > - You own a Zaurus and could help to test the system, or
>
> I also have one of these, altho it is a developer model with only 32m of
> ram.  I've been thinking of buying one of those fance expansions for it.

It is possible to upgrade the internal RAM?  I did not realize this.

> (One odd thing with the model I have, is that there is an audio recorder
> app, but no microphone.)

The consumer model (the 5500, which I have) is the same way.  You need to
connect a microphone to the headset jack, as is done with telephone type
headsets.

> However, I don't generally tinker with hardware(I'm a programmer).
> However, I am a dpkg developer, so any patches it (archtable, mostly) can
> be integrated quickly.

I think that the most interesting dpkg type thing that would help, you are
already doing or have done.  That would be the exclusion feature, which
would save a lot of space during installation and upgrades by not unpacking
documentation.

> > [3] currently, the SD kernel driver is closed-source, but Sharp claims
> > to be negotiating to release the source.  See [1].
>
> SD is just secure.  You can still use the slot as an MMC device.  SD is
> faster(about 4 times, as I recall), but if you just need storage, it's
> currently the only way to go.

I am still figuring out the hardware side of things, but as far as I can
tell, MMC cards and SD cards are two different types of media which have the
same form factor.  I happen to have an SD card, and so I will need the SD
driver to make use of that media, but I could still use an MMC card without
it.  Is that your understanding as well?  Or are you saying that an SD card
could be treated as an MMC card?

--
 - mdz