Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

> Hi,
>
> I was having a look at Gentoo Linux the other night, and their principle of
> rebuilding your own packages with your chosen gcc -O & -march flags.
>
> I got wondering, how one should go about rebuilding from source a whole
> debian installation in a similar way ?
> Anybody did this before, or are there any significant hurdles that prevent
> automating this process ?

<snip>

I'm currently making/using a program called 'apt-src' which downloads
and compiles source packages instead of using binary packages like
apt-get.  With ccache and pentium-builder installed it can be changed to
optimise for a given architecture.   I've been using it for a few weeks
now - with no strange side-effects.

Here is a description of some of what it does:

'apt-src install packagename' will install the package from source,
recursively compiling and installing the build-depends as needed.

'apt-src upgrade' will try to upgrade all out of date packages from
source, taking into account build-dependancies.  It does not add or
remove any packages.  (Including build-depends - so some packages may be
unbuildable.)

'apt-src dist-upgrade' will add and remove packages as well as upgrading
everything.  (This is somewhat buggy - I've just found it doesn't handle
build-conflicts very well.)

It currently is a huge hack - but it works most of the time now.  (I'm
limited by the rate that new pacakges are added into the pool in
debugging it.)

It would be relatively trivial to add a 'apt-src build-world' target
which would rebuild everything... but I'm still trying to debug the
simpler stuff, so that will have to wait.

Steven