What is Debian?

    Jeroen> Because we aren't porting GNU/Linux to a new
    Jeroen> processor. Debian only defines the base structure for the
    Jeroen> GNU/Linux operating system. Not for *BSD and
    Jeroen> GNU/Hurd. That's why *BSD and GNU/Hurd ports are having
    Jeroen> problems.

Really?  I think Debian policy actually provides a fairly good basis
for Debian *BSD.  There are a few minor things that the BSD ports are
going to need to try and get changed about Debian, but for me at least
the entire appeal of the Debian BSD projects is to get the Debian
operating system (which does include some GNU components) running on a
BSD kernel.

I think that if you are going to claim that Debian is not an operating
system, or that Debian cannot meet the needs of *BSD, you need
significant more justification.  Small issues like the location of the
runtime loader do not mean that Debian is inherently GNU/Linux
specific, or even that Debian will require significant changes; they
simply mean that there are a few issues that need to be dealt with.

To the extent that HURD developers are approaching things in the same
spirit--working through the few real technical issues they have, I'm
happy to work with them.  To the extent that they want to remold
Debian in their image, or have Debian GNU/HURD differ significantly
from the rest of Debian, I think significantly more justification is
required.

Remember Debian changes almost every package that enters it; often
disagreeing with the wishes of the upstream authors.  We even change
the Linux kernel to meet our needs.  We may end up disagreeing with
the HURd developers and doing the same to make HURD fit our operating
system.  And because this is free software, anyone who doesn't like
what the community is doing can try to succeed on their own.

--Sam