Re: draft release announcement

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 01:46:42PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> Debian GNU/Linux is a free Linux system. It is developed by nearly
> a thousand volunteers from all over the world who collaborate via the
> [ XXX 963, whether to round up or down is an open question.. ]

I think it is more than fair to round up, as (I assume) you are only
counting registered maintainers here, and there are probably more
non-registered folks contributing than there are inactive maintainers.

> This is the first version of Debian to feature cryptographic software
> integrated into the distribution, rather than as an optional add-on.
> Ssh and gnupg are included in the default install, and strong
> encryption is now present in web browsers, databases, XXX, and YYY.
> [ XXX fill in the blanks ]

Mention crypto support in network services (apache, BIND, ftpd-ssl, exim,
sendmail, snmpd, freeradius, others I'm sure).

> With the addition of the ia64, hppa, mips, mipsel, and s390 architectures,
> Debian GNU/Linux now supports a total of 10 architectures. It now runs on

potato released with alpha, arm, i386, m68k, powerpc and sparc
woody has those 6 plus 5 more: hppa, ia64, mips, mipsel, s390

Doesn't that add up to 11?  Or are you counting mips/mipsel as one?

> For the first time, Debian comes with the KDE desktop environment. The GNOME
> desktop environment is upgraded to version 1.4, and X itself is upgraded to
> version 2.4. With mozilla 1.0rc1, galeon, and konquoror, this release of
          ^^^ 4.1.0

> Debian for the first time features a set of mature and very usable desktops
> and web browsers.
> [ XXX must watch and see if mozilla 1+rc1 gets in. Also, is that the right
>   way to refer to its version number? ]

mozilla.org says "Mozilla 1.0 RC1" and "Mozilla 1.0 Release Candidate 1".

> This version of Debian supports the 2.2 and 2.4 releases of the Linux
> kernel. Along with better support for a greater variety of new hardware
> (such as USB) and significant improvements in usability and stability, the
> 2.4 kernel provides support for the ext3 journaling filesystem.
> [ XXX That is supported by the 2.4 boot floppies by default, right? Please
>   verify. Also, an other FS's supported by default? reiser? ]

Yes, it is.  As is ReiserFS, on i386 (anywhere else?).

> [ XXX should I mention DVD? ]

Is someone preparing DVD-sized images?  Will they be available from the
usual places?

> In the area of standards compliance, this is the first release of Debian to
> be fully  compliant with FHS version 2.1. Debian GNU/Linux now also supports
> [ is "compliant" the right word? ]

The FHS 2.2 says:

The FHS document is used by

    * Independent software suppliers to create applications which are FHS
    * compliant, and work with distributions which are FHS complaint,
    * OS creators to provide systems which are FHS compliant, and
    * Users to understand and maintain the FHS compliance of a system.

So "compliant" should be fine.

--
 - mdz