Re: Debian Conference 2 Registration

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 03:03:14AM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 07:30:48PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 17:54, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:

> > > The thing I want say is: Debian is about free software, IMHO we should
> > > not have such a prominent sponser promoting non-free
> > > software. Especially as we probably don't need it.

> > Jeroen, please calm down.  I admit that while the registration page
> > could have been a bit more tasteful (i.e. less blatant advertising), it
> > would be a very bad idea for us to refuse their sponsorship.  Debian has
> > been accepting donations from proprietary software companies for a long
> > time.  We should thank them for their donation, and continue our work.

> We should not advertise directly or indirectly non-free software. I
> don't say we should refuse their sponsership totally, but if they
> provide hosting on non-free software I think that is a valid reason to
> refuse it. Same goes for the adverising link, actually the URL of the
> debconf 2 registration already advertised lindows.

If you're so upset that Debian would accept sponsorship built on
non-free software, surely that means you're proficient in developing web
scripts and you've already begun work on a replacement for the Lindows
IIS site, yes?  After all, complaining about the deficiencies of the
present solution without stepping up to provide an alternative is not
particularly becoming behavior in a Debian developer.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer