Re: debian directory in upstream CVS

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 03:28:39PM +0000, michael d. ivey wrote:
> I've started a Wiki page at
> http://wiki.debian.net/DebianWiki/DebianDirectoryInUpstreamCVS to
> gather thoughts on whether it is a good idea or a bad idea to include
> the debian/ dir in upstream CVS.  I'd appreciate comments, either by
> mail or Wiki.

As far as I'm concerned, having debian/ in upstream is a non-issue.  If
upstream would like to provide snapshots of Debian packages or simply to
have a full spread of package configurations for the users that download
the software, that's great!

How hard is it to maintain someone else's debian/ directory?  As hard as
it is to run patch(1) or mv(1).  The same practices apply.  Changes to a
package directory or spec file do not necessitate changes in upstream
versions.  Add the '-1' or '-1.1' that we normally use for package
versioning.  Send the patches to upstream as a low priority fix.

Do you need CVS access to upstream?  Na.  Does upstream even use CVS?
Perhaps.  Is it important?  Na.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie