Re: xfree86 unbuildable on ppc

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:34:26PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Apparently, if the Linux kernel driver guys renumber some ioctls, the
> right thing is for everybody's apps to break instantly.

Err, brainfart -- scratch that point.  Obviously this happens no matter
where they're defined, because they're expanded at build time.

...which does, actually, leave me wondering why app writers should
bother defining them at all.  The numbers belong to the kernel; why
don't we keep them there?  If the kernel revs in such a way as to break
ioctl numbers, there's no userland way around it, is there?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I had thought very carefully about
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     comitting hara-kiri over this, but