locking utmp

open("/var/run/utmp", O_RDWR)           = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/var/run/utmp", O_RDONLY)         = 4
fcntl64(4, F_GETFD)                     = 0
fcntl64(4, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)         = 0
_llseek(4, 0, [0], SEEK_SET)            = 0
alarm(0)                                = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGALRM, {0x4013dc10, [], 0x4000000}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
alarm(1)                                = 0
fcntl64(4, F_SETLKW, {type=F_RDLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=0}) = 0

The above is a short strace of kcheckpass (the password checking program used
by the KDE screen blank program).

It uses pam to check the password for the user who runs it, the code in
question is all in pam (the kde code doesn't seem to have any getutent() type
functions or any direct file access).  Which is why I'm asking here as
tracing through the pam code to find the answer could be a lot of work.

I need to know why it wants to lock a range of length 0.  Is this a bug or is
there some good reason for it?