Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 18:34, Evan Prodromou wrote:

> Not to mention that it's a subjective decision by this organization
> whether or not to deliver -- with the Debian logo prominently
> displayed -- an operating system featuring the Bible, anarchist texts,
> and software written by dumb kids who think racist jokes are a laff
> riot.

Each package is a form of expression by its maintainer and upstream
authors.  If I upload code written for GNOME, then I am (as one example)
expressing my idea that I think GNOME is a good thing, and its
competitors are inferior.  Not all forms of expression are so subtle;
bible-kjv-text being a good example.

> It seems to me that our group has kind of gelled around the idea that
> no software or content is sufficiently controversial that we'd pull it
> from Debian. That seems like a pretty amazing view -- that there is an
> essential Right To Publish for anyone involved in this project.

I think we have a rough consensus on the kinds of things that should be
included in Debian.  But if someone really wants something included, and
is not willing to accept the rough consensus, then we have a vote.  Most
people are reasonable and will accept the rough consensus, if it even
comes to that.

Simply put, if a maintainer wants to include things that some consider
offensive in their package, that is their right.  If the maintainer
wants to remove some things from the package, that is also their right.
Nothing short of a GR can change that.