Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:50:08 -0600
Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org> wrote:
> But in any
> event, "it's just a joke, have a sense of humor," is a pretty weak and
> lame excuse for dumping one's ignorance and insecurity all over the
> ground.

> Anyone who thinks a joke is _just_ a joke is kidding
> themselves. Jokes are powerful and destructive things.
>
> And, the fact is, people who use this kind of slur, "even as a joke",
> come off looking like idiotic knuckleheads.

I won't really argue with any of that, except perhaps the "powerful and
destructive" bit. But aside from that, I'd agree. The question is, is it
*wrong* to make yourself look like a knucklehead? Is it wrong enough to
warrant a distribution-wide purge of that sort of text? :)

> I would advocate that maintainers can do whatever the hell they want
> with their packages, staying within the bounds of the license
> specified by the upstream authors.

Agreed. :)

\ David B. Harris, Systems administrator   |   http://www.terrabox.com /
/  eelf@sympatico.ca, elf@terrabox.com     |     http://eelf.ddts.net  \
/ Clan Barclay motto: Aut agere, aut mori.  (Either action, or death.) \