Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

    BR> Ooh, ooh, getting offended gratuitously is fun.  I should do
    BR> it more often.

These trivializations are really beneath the discussion. I know that
this has been a real hoot on debian-devel, but I think the rather lame
and unfunny point has been made.

Does anyone really, really think that there's something gratuitous in
being offended by jokes about being "too black" or calling someone a
"faggot"?  Is that *really* over-the-top political correctness?

How about, instead of this argument ("_someone_ going to get offended
by _anything_ you say, no matter how seemingly innocuous"), we accept
the fact that racist, sexist and homophobic slurs are probably serious
things, or at least are not humorously trivial and can possibly make
pause even rational people?  And then we work from there.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan@debian.org