Re: Background image collection

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Jon Franklin wrote:

> I, for one, would love to see these pics packaged for Debian.
Any idea how to make it sanely.
I do not want to bloat neither the Debian archive nor users disk.  I had
in mind the following path:

      background-at_<version>.orig.tar.gz
          -> contains 1600x1200 images

      background-at-1600x1200_<version>_all.deb
      background-at-1280x1024_<version>_all.deb
      background-at-1024x768_<version>_all.deb
      background-at-800x600_<version>_all.deb
      background-at-640x480_<version>_all.deb
          -> containing the images scaled down to the apropriate size

Perhaps the two latest resolutions are not very interesting because
I doubt that people with low screen sizes do want to bloat their
surely low memory with any background images.

Perhaps somebody knows a clever GUI which lets users choose from
a set of images the one they like and put it into the background for
Gnome/KDE.  (Sorry I just use xplanet and never dealt with such stuff
but I was asked for using my images this way.)

An other possible usage would be inside something the Win-people
say "screensaver".  Well, in my opinion a screensaver should really
"save" the screen by switching off back light.  But some others
understand it as entertainment by displaying some slides.

Any hints are welcome to make Debian more user friendly or better
friendly to its users.

Kind regards

        Andreas.