Re: Unidentified subject!

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 08:17:52PM -0500, sebastien wrote:
> Hi,
> I am in charge of a linux distrib for blind people, and in an attempt to
> provide an easy distrib (let's just not forget they read it all with their
> fingers!), I'd like to adapt all the advantages of debian (like apt for
> example) but leaving it a light distrib, just with possibility to access by
> downloading to a full distrib, I guess it is possible without too much
> trouble, I am leaving it up to you guys, just please let me know what is
> possible, ok?

Well I'm really excited by the upcoming GNOME 2. Just imagine the number of
applications the Accesibility Framework could bring to the blind community.

Apart from KDE and related software I'm not sure what you could cut down on.
Blind and partially sighted users seem to want everything. At the moment its
mainly the console clients (for every protocol imaginable) but pretty soon it'll
be gui clients too. I understand that the accessibility features available to
Windows users (at a price) allow access to almost all windows software..

I wish you good luck and I hope GNOME 2 works out.

One other thing, it would be really nice if it was easier to install emacs-speak
with (the not free enough) ViaVoice. At the moment theres a lot of aliening and
--force-overwrite stuff to do to get it going. I expect an auto installer
package might win a few users over.

Alan