Re: Dselect insists on installing "info" when "cvs" is selected

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net> writes:

> Previously Joseph Carter wrote:
>> dselect is brain damaged.
>
> It's not.

But it's interactive, and it's not emacs, nor vi, and thus evil :-)

>> Of course the problem gets even harier becuase while dselect will not let
>> you say not to a recommends, apt doesn't even know that there are such
>> things.
>
> I've always said that people shouldn't use apt-get for complex upgrades
> for exactly that reason.

Arg, so the much praised apt-get is broken?  What would it take to fix
this?  Why doesn't apt-get upgrade print a warning message about it's
brokenness?  What about BUGS in the apt-get manpage?  Not every Debian
user knows all your quotes by heart, I didn't know about this one.

Also, what makes an upgrade complex, how to recognise one, should I
learn dselect after all?  Or is this a ``shouldn't use'' that's more
of a waver and that can be safely ignored, such as ``don't run
unstable''.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter