Re: expired key

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 08:44:30AM +0800, Peter Crystal wrote:
> This is probably a very stupid question, however, what do
> I do if my GPG key has expired? I just discovered, after
> finally getting better of exhaustion, injury and general
> self-badness, that I cant upload packages because my key
> is expired.

> Of course, the obvious answer would be:
> 	"You should have updated it 6 months ago"
> but in this situation, I would like a more practical answer ;)

In theory, there's no reason that you can't:

* revoke the self-signature on your public key.
* re-upload your key to the keyserver.
* re-sign your public key, giving it a new expiration date in the
  future.
* re-re-upload your key to the keyserver.
* continue using your existing key for as long as you deem prudent.

The only place the expiration date on a key is stored is in the
self-signature data, and there's no technical reason why this can't be
removed and replaced with a different expiration date post-expiration,
just like it can be pre-expiration.

Testing that I've done locally with a test key seems to support this
idea, but I'm not going to expire my key early just to find out... :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer