Re: Incomplete build depends on binary-all packages

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:58:46PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > >      I have received a serious bug report against vera for incomplete
> > > build depends.
> >
> > Which IMHO is not serious as in release-critical. The inflated severities
> > are an annoying waste of time.
>
> Unfortunately, they are NOT inflated. "serious" is the correct severity for
> a bug reporting that a package violates a 'must' rule in Debian policy. And
> incorrect build-depends are just that.
>
> What we really need is a way to tag an RC bug as "not to be considered RC,
> due to administrative decision of the release manager". And if the
> release-manager says so, apply that tag to bugs complaining of broken
> arch-indep build-depends.

If? If? Where have you been for the last, oh, three years? Release managers
have always downgraded silly little bugs that don't affect the release by
any stretch of imagination. The Policy Manual may say it's serious, but the
real policy has always been different.

The choice is clear:

  * Inflate the severity in your submission, and waste time of another
    volunteer who will have to downgrade it.

  * Don't inflate the severity in your submission, knowing that it's not
    going to be considered RC anyway.

Be nice and chose the latter.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.