Re: State of debianutils

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:24:57AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> christophe barbé wrote:
> > I use a script written by Francois Gouget called 'sux' which does as
> > 'su' but for free take care of the X authentification stuff.
>
> So do I, but I call mine ~joey/.xinitrc
>
> # This makes X work when I su to root.
> if [ -z "$XAUTHORITY" ]; then
>         XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
>         export XAUTHORITY
> fi
>
> A utility seems rather pointless.

Francois's script is 312 lines long. You are really smart ;-)
I'm not used enough to the auth stuff to comment on the differences
between your one-case 4-lines and sux.

My understanding is that with sux you get the same behaviour that with
su but with X auth. A new debian user who, previously used to 'xhost +'
will be happy to use sux and slogin -X.

Christophe