Re: Debian menus policy

Brian Nelson wrote:

> I *hate* classifying anything into categories, because there's always
> grey areas.  It becomes an arbitrary, ambivalent mess.  What's
> something that's both an editor and email client?  Or file manager and
> web browser?

True, but you can generally identify an app as being principally one
thing. Emacs is anything you want it to be, but primarily it's a text
editor. Even the FSF, in their web site's list of GNU software,
describes it as "an extensible, customizable real-time display editor
and computing environment" rather than "a LISP interpreter with a
sophisticated text editor built in". If even in their eyes, it's first
and foremost an editor, then I'd say that's a good way to describe it.

Likewise, Nautilus is principally a file manager. Like some other file
managers, it can also manage your root window. Unlike most, it can also
be a web browser. But first and foremost, it's a file manager, so that's
where I'd file it in the menus.

One could also, optionally, file these and a few other Swiss army knife
apps in the root of the tree, rather than in a category. As long as
there weren't many of these programs (or at least, not many that one
would be likely to have installed simultaneously on one machine), that
won't be much of a problem.

Craig