Re: Making mutt more friendly towards site customizations

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 03:38:09PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:

Hi,

> > - adding a "source /etc/Muttrc.local" at the bottom of the default
> > /etc/Muttrc
>
> I agree with Marco that this is not a good idea. Not only because /etc
> has already too many files, but also because this would force him to change
> the manual in a radical way, and would make his work of updating the package
> from upstream much harder.

OK, I agree with you that splitting the file would indeed create a higher
workload. But adding a single 'source' line by default? Hardly...

> Modifying your own /etc/Muttrc so that it sources /etc/Muttrc.local
> seems a much better solution to your problem. If the problem is that
> you have to do this in a lot of computers, consider using scp.

Believe me, I wouldn't be whining about this if it were that simple. My
point is that I have _different_ customizations on many computers, so I
can't just replicate a single Muttrc to all of them.

> [ In either case, *wishlist* bugs are not to be reopened again and again
>   once the maintainer has told you he thinks it's not a good idea ].

I'm sorry, I must have missed this somewhere. Can you please point me to the
relevant documentation?

OTOH, this problem could conceivably be viewed as a bug, because it forces
the administrator to do unnecessary work.

Additionally, I was slightly annoyed by the haughty tone Marco took with me.

Andrew

--
            Andrew Korn (Korn Andras) <korn@chardonnay.math.bme.hu>
             Finger korn@chardonnay.math.bme.hu for pgp key. QOTD: