Re: gpm & X

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:01:26PM +0100, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> On Sunday 9 December 2001 12:40, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > It's a known issue that gpm and X11 accessing the mouse at the same time
> > gives big problems with certain mouses.
> > That's what the gpm "repeater" is for. Use /dev/gpmdata as the mouse
> > device for X; then both should work fine.
>
> I had this problem too, and filed it as a bug... it has been closed and
> suggested that it should be documented, but i think the best way there has to
> come some agreement between the Xfree86 packager and the gpm packager
> on how this should be solved... Documentation is not enough... it should work
> out of the box...
>
> Since it seems that the X-mouse "reader" has no repeater... the X-package
> should detect if gpm is installed and not use the /dev/psaux then... Or the
> bug should be fixed properly, in order to let them both be able to read the
> same device at the same time...
>
> IMHO...

It looks to me like a bad protocol or something or bad access point. If you are using USB mouse as you indicated then you should access it at
/dev/input/mice instead of /dev/psaux. And specify PS/2 protocol for both gpm and X.

Here's the stuff from my XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection

and from gpm.conf

device=/dev/input/mice
responsiveness=25
type=ps2
append="-l \"a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377\""

repeat_type=

Works perfectly.

- Adam