Re: behaviour of -doc packages

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 11:31:32AM -0600, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> > I would prefer it if they did both; that is, /usr/share/doc/foo-doc is a
> > symlink to /usr/share/doc/foo and the docs are installed in
> > /usr/share/doc/foo. This is a little more delicate to set up but is
> > least confusing for users (since policy requires
> > /usr/share/doc/foo-doc/copyright and /usr/share/doc/foo-doc/changelog*
> > to exist anyway).
>
> But then you assume foo-doc comes from the same source as foo.

That's true. It only works if the copyright and changelog files can be
shared.

> In my case (debiandoc-sgml and debiandoc-sgml-doc) both are separate
> source packages. In that case the symlink you propose doesn't work and
> even breaks policy.

In that case /usr/share/doc/debiandoc-sgml-doc is probably the only
choice anyway, although if most of the documentation is in a
subdirectory of that then you could drop a symlink to that subdirectory
in /usr/share/doc/debiandoc-sgml.