Re: Thoughts on network detection and configuration on Debian

On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 07:35, David Roundy wrote:

> As far as ideas for improvement to whereami, I was just thinking that
> perhaps a nice way to do some of its work would be to have it switch
> runlevels.  Since we already have the runlevel mechanism for creating
> different configurations (esp for daemons, etc), it might be nice to use
> that, although we'd still need a mechanism for changing config files.
> Also, that would limit us to three such configurations, which is probably
> usually more than enough, but still you hate to build a limitation in to
> the software... oh well.  Maybe not such a hot idea...

I think there aren't enough runlevels for this.  I wouldn't want to be
restricted to just three choices.

I suppose that the 6 runlevels are traditional, and that more could be
added, but there are a lot of tools out there which don't expect more
than that.

Regarding whereami: I'm in the throes of creating a new version of
whereami with an easier configuration at the moment.  I hope to release
it into the wild next week.

Once that is out, I plan to focus on developing a GUI for configuration.

Regards,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267