Re: Unofficial Debian 'testing' FAQ (was Re: Packages in queue for woody?)

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 04:54:00PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:

> This kind of question is, not surprisingly, coming up a lot at the moment.
>
> In an attempt to compile and present knowledge about the testing
> distribution, which is currently spread around those developers who read
> AJT's posts most carefully, I cautiously present:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~jules/testingfaq.html
>
> Everyone who understands testing please read, comment, suggest.

Good work.  Comments:

> * Have a look at the testing home page, and, in particular, the update excuses
> and update output files.

"update output" is no longer there.

>  A package will move into testing when it satisfies all of the following
> criteria:

I would replace "package" with "version of a package", since that more
clearly states what is happening.

>     * It must have been in unstable for 10, 5 or 2 days, depending on its
>     * severity;

"depending on the urgency of the last upload"; packages don't have
severities.

> * It must have fewer release-critical bugs than the version currently in
> * testing;

It might be worthwhile to explain how this is determined...I honestly don't
know, though I assume it takes into account the potato/woody/sid/etc. tags
in the BTS.

> * A package which satisfies the first four of the above is said to be a Valid
> Candidate.

Since you refer to these points by number, you should make it an ordered
list.  This makes it easy to see at a glance which items you are referring
to.

--
 - mdz