Re: libtool, c++ and SO_names

> So, my last question to clarify: Upstream seems to be under the
> impression that using another compiler would require a change in the
> SO-name.
>
> So, there are two scenarios:
>
> 1. Upstream changes Compiler but Debian doesn't, he bumps SO and I'll
> follow to stay consistent.

right.

> 2. Debian changes Compiler but upstream doesn't. What to do? Is
> specifying the compiler in Depends: enough?

well, for Debian yes, but if you are concerned about cross-distribution
compatibility this doesn't solve the problem. The only way to have
compatibility is if upstream and all distributions (RedHat, Debian, etc)
all compile the packages with exactly the same compilers. Obviously
there's no way to enforce this...

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>