iPod

Just wondering what the status of support for the Apple iPod is under Linux.
It looks like a slick piece of hardware, and I'd love to be able to use it!
From what I have read, it seems that the iPod can be accessed directly as a
Firewire hard drive. Is this accurate? In addition, is any work being done to
create a smooth syncing interface so I don't have to manually drag'n'drop my
music files over to the player every time?

One last thought: I read mention of the possibility of the iPod gaining
support for Ogg Vorbis audio via its flashable firmware. Any word on if this
will actually become a reality?

I know this isn't the most crucial topic, so thanks for your time in reading
this. Good day!

- Josh