Re: Thoughts on network detection and configuration on Debian

Enrico Zini <enrico@debian.org> writes:
EZ> Then we have the system reconfiguration part.  For simple needs,
EZ> ifupdown can take care of it, possibly with the aid of a couple of
EZ> up/pre-up/down/pre-down commands.  For more complex needs, ifupdown
EZ> doesn't provide an elegant solution.  Maybe the existing reconfiguration
EZ> methods could be hooked to ifupdown like wvdial has been, but I'm not
EZ> confortable with the entangled ifupdown sources to elaborate more on
EZ> that.

For my usage, there are a couple of things that I'd like to set up,
but only in certain circumstances.  I want to start zhm and AFS, but
only if I'm on a network I know to have external connectivity; I want
to start ypbind and possibly mount some NFS filesystems, but only if
I'm on one particular network.

It seems like this sort of thing could be dealt with through
/etc/init.d scripts, mostly; I already have "up /etc/init.d/zhm start"
in my /etc/network/interfaces file for particular networks.  I could
move ypbind into the same realm (and probably should).  This doesn't
deal with the problem of changing configuration files, though (I'd
like to start up AFS with its root cell more-or-less corresponding to
where I physically am, for example).  Hmm.

	-- Abra Mitchell