Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Michael Banck wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 04:22:45PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > While they are both great ideas, the don't speak to M$ users wishes to run
> > free software on their OS. This port provides Free Software that runs on
> > their platform.
>
> True.
>
> > This is, to me, a good thing to do.
>
> I do think the same. However, I do not see the neccessity why it should
> be called 'Debian' or 'GNU'. Windows users might not even know the exact
> meaning of these words and they will most likely not care.

I don't care for the GNU attribute either, but this IS a project run by
Debian developers. We have never rejected the work of Developers before,
nor rejected a set of free packages on anything other than their license
conditions.

> So I propose that anybody who likes goes back to support CYGWIN with
> dpkg and APT support, but under a neutral name.

I just don't get it. We support Windblows systems on several fronts in
Debian GNU/Linux. We deliver samba, who's only function is to provide
servers that Windblows recognizes. We deliver windows emulators so Linux
users can run proprietary M$ software on their otherwise free systems.

How is this any different from Debian providing support for free software
running on a proprietary OS? The provided software is free. Only the
target OS isn't. The result is that folks who couldn't use free software
before are now able to. Doesn't that "promote the use of free software"?

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-