Re: [2001-11-29] Freeze Update

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 09:21:23AM -0500, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
> Anthony Towns <ajt@master.debian.org> writes:
>     > The major problem is that autobuilt packages will start
>     > depend:ing on some base packages if they get updated in
>     > unstable, and thus those packages won't be able to get to
>     > testing.
> Sure, but that's the wrong solution.  All uploaded packages,
> whether by buildd or human (we really need to ban binary uploads
> entirely but...), should be built on testing, not unstable.

See what I mean by people second guessing?

That's also why I haven't been giving much justification, it just invites
even more second guessing and consideration of alternatives and confusion
and inaction.

Trust me, I've thought of most of these things already. Most of the
changes that would be really terrific also happen to require some
significant changes in other infrastructure, which are underway but not
yet done, and shouldn't be done when we're trying to release.

Please, save it for after the release.

Cheers,
aj