RE: Gnome & /usr/local policy

IIRC, this is a known problem in GNOME. I filed a bug on this with them back
in the pre-1.0 days and they marked it as won't fix. A bug relating to this
is probably still in their bug tracker. They don't seem to care much.

IIRC, it's because the prefix gets hard coded into the GNOME libraries. It's
quite ugly actually.

--jeh