Re: [logcheck] I hear you...

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 05:08:59PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>     Alec> The whole [OK], [FAILED], etc thing that RedHat does with
>     Alec> colors is nice, but not really necessary. While some
>     Alec> additional things can be useful, others are mainly eye
>     Alec> candy. I believe adding the kind of success/failure system
>     Alec> RedHat uses is mainly eyecandy.
>
>  But that "eyecandy" gives it a "more finished", "polished", "sexy",
>  or "professional" look.

actually, it gives it a "toy" look. only toy operating systems hide
important information from users.

real professional systems administrators want to see any messages
printed by daemons when they start (or fail to start), hiding these
messages in order to display a pretty green OK or a flashing red FAILED
is throwing away useful information.

>  Compare a Debian box booting to a Red Hat one (prior to the
>  inevitable upgrade to Debian; ahmen brothers and seesters).  Which
>  one is more estheticly appealing, to anyone besides it's mother or
>  maintainer fanatic association?

that's a matter of subjective opinion, not objective fact.

some people find pretty green OK messages to be aesthetically appealing.
some find them ugly. some find any attempt to obscure useful information
or to champion image over substance to be ugly in the extreme.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.