Re: virtual package (x-)editor ?

On 24-Nov-01, 16:15 (CST), Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 03:57:32PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> This thread already came up within the past 3 months.

Sorry, don't have debian-devel memorized.

>   How about you
> folks reread it before going nuts with unnecessary new infrastructure.

Hmmm, thought's that what I was doing: pointing out that there was an
existing methodology and infrastructure, and how an particular program
could make use of it.

> There's no reason a user or local sysadmin can't point EDITOR to some
> wrapper that tests "$DISPLAY" and behaves accordingly.

Yes, exactly. The one new thing I threw out was that sensible-editor
could do this. To provide appropriate flexibility, it would need to
allow a user to specify both a terminal-based editor and a X-based
editor, thus XEDITOR. There are lots of things that can be done on
a local ad-hoc basis. Sometimes we decide they are common enough to
provide a distribution standard for, sometimes not.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net>