Re: [RFC] Hits/directions to using autoconf and friends in Debian

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 10:54:34AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Suggestions of other places this information should be in (other than
> autotool-dev's nearly-never-read README.Debian file) are welcome.

To make it semi-official, it should probably be in the  Developers'
Reference..  dh_* programs that automate the process, and are added to the
default debian/rules when you initially package something probably wouldnt
hurt either.

> Packages that can take advantage of autotools-dev at build time should
> Build-Depend on it.  Packages that do autotools-dev-related work in autogen.sh
> only need not such a build-dependency (but please document the packages
> autogen.sh needs in comments at the top of that file!).

This isnt explained very well IMO.  What is autogen.sh?  It is vaguely
explained at the end of your text, though I'm still not sure I get how its
supposed to work.

> One should fix these timestamp skews using a proper chain of "touch foo &&
> sleep 1s && touch bar..." in the debian/rules file, to make sure files will not
> be regenerated without need. You need that "sleep" in there because some build
> environments are too fast for their own good, depending on which filesystem
> they use.

Huh?  Too fast for their own good?

Thanks,

Norbert