Re: A language by any other name

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 08:11:20AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> this thread is about finding a non-arbitrary way to decide what the
> aliases defined by gdm should point to. the only way to do that which
> doesn't involve random selection or months of bickering as consensus is
> attempted (and failed) is to use the language's commonly-accepted point
> of origin.

Huh? There are many other ways that don't involve random selection or
finding consensus:

* Using the English locale of the country with the most number of
English speakers (en_IN), or

* Using the most number of people with English as their primary tounge
(en_US?), or

* Using the "ISO standard" English locale (en_DK), or

* Using the locale of the group that can send the most money to Ben
Collins.

Other solutions come to mind. IMO, this thread shows that GDM shouldn't
use a English alias, any more than it should use a Czechslovikian alias,
because any choice for locale is going to seriously annoy many people,
regardless of any linguistic details. If the Spanish speakers are happy
with es_ES, then that's their decision; but the English speakers can't
be satisfied with either en_US or en_UK, regardless of the language's
history or linguistic reality.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I saw a daemon stare into my face into my face, and an angel touch my